Re: question on BG# and its performance impact

On 12/11/2013 11:10 PM, Duan, Jiangang wrote:
Mark,

Thanks for the comments.
One more question: is there bad impact if we use a higher PG# per OSD? E.g. 200x (I think a lot of people use this?) or 400x?
E.g. more memory consumption or lock contention?

I have not seen performance issues directly related to the number of PGs per OSD, but rather based on the total number of PGs in the cluster. At one point this was somewhere around 100K PGs with the hardware I was testing, but some of the work we did last summer may have improved this.

The symptoms were mons not responding quickly to requests and generally strange behaviour.

-jiangang

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Nelson [mailto:mark.nelson@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:38 PM
To: Duan, Jiangang
Cc: Sage Weil; Zhang, Jian; ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; He, Yujie
Subject: Re: question on BG# and its performance impact

On 12/11/2013 08:24 AM, Mark Nelson wrote:
Hi Jiangang,

To answer your earlier question about Uniformity:

What I saw in my testing was that the PG count increases, things did
tend to get more uniform, ie the standard deviation of the percentages
distributed over the set of OSDs slowly decreased with more PGs.
Primarily what I am interested in though is whether or not any
specific OSD has more PGs than the rest as that's all it will take to
screw up performance.  As far as performance goes though, in my
testing it didn't necessarily seem to be strongly correlated with the
PG distribution, except for very small numbers of PGs.  Much more
rigorous testing is probably needed to draw much of a conclusion.

Sage and I had a conversation a while ago about how to deal with
situations where you have uneven distributions (either through not
having enough PGs to ensure even distribution, or simply bad luck at
psuedo-random roulette).  I proposed that we might iterate through
multiple possible pool distributions using different seed values until
we found one we liked with good psudorandom distribution.  Perhaps you
could get even fancier by looking at what happens when you lose and
OSD or two.  As this is all during pool creation, a little extra time
finding a nice initial distribution doesn't really hurt.

Sage mentioned though that it may be better to simple take whatever
distribution is generated and simply re-weight it to deal with
uniformity imperfections.  I can't see any reason why this wouldn't
also work and has the benefit that it works no matter how the
distribution changes.  Arguably this technique could go beyond just
looking at PG distributions and look at actual data distribution too
if the user wants extremely even data uniformity at the expense of a re-weighting tweak.

In any event, with very large clusters with lots of pools, I think we
will likely need to at some point adopt some kind of scheme that lets
us get away with fewer PGs per pool than our current recommendations.

Ha, replying to my own reply!  Thinking about this a little more, these two techniques may in fact still be complementary.  For very large clusters where the PG counts per OSD may be low, I suspect we will want to at least make sure the initial map guarantees that every OSD has at least 1 PG so we can do proper re-weighting down the road.  In fact the better the initial distribution is, the less crazy we'll have to get with re-weighting, so it may not be a bad idea to use both techniques.

Mark