Re: CDS blueprint: strong auth for cephfs

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Dan van der Ster <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Gregory Farnum <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Ah, I hadn't gotten that from skimming the blueprint. So this isn't
>> just about hooking into Kerberos when we do a mount, you want to
>> dynamically retrieve different caps from the monitors as users log on,
>> and have that single client choose between them based on who's making
>> the request?
>
> In our proposal the "additional capabilities" (which allow IOs with a
> particular file/object) are encrypted and sent by the MDS to the
> client who passes it on to the OSD for object IOs.

I'm confused; if two different people are using the same client mount,
the MDS can't distinguish between them unless the client is
cooperating. Isn't that what you were saying it needs to do?

>>> Right, the shared secret is the kerberos service key in our model.
>>
>> So the whole Ceph cluster has one shared service key, and they use
>> that for securing everything that anybody does? (Sorry, that's
>> probably an elementary question, but I haven't looked at Kerberos
>> since Yehuda implemented the initial CephX auth.)
>
> We've used the shared service key in the past with other distributed
> file systems. But perhaps the model can be changed to per-OSD/MDS
> keys.
>
>> By the time I arrived this was all history; you'll have to wait until
>> Sage gets back for that one. I suspect he didn't like the performance
>> enough and the trees had diverged non-trivially by the time Maat was
>> in a useful state. But if you are brave, you can go back in time
>> (couple years ago) and look for the "security" folder, which I think
>> contained the Maat changes, and see what would be involved in
>> extracting them. :)
>
> Is it this one?
>    https://github.com/ceph/ceph/tree/historic/aleung_mds_security/

Specifically the branches/aleung/security1/ folder in there. (This is
all svn branches converted to a git repository, etc, so the
organization is a bit weird.)
-Greg