Re: HSM

> - Keeping the tape drives busy js always difficult… tape drives are
> now regularly exceeding 250MB/s on a single stream so the storage
> system needs to be able to maintain a high data rate. Tape drive
> performance drops rapidly when the drives have to stop and then
> restart as the buffers fill up again.

This is actually where the striping on top of librados is helping us
(see my other mail). The striping allows to read concurrently from
several ceph nodes concurrently (with some read ahead and using
asynchronous reading) and allows to achieve much more than 250MB/s
(already foreseeing next generation...).

Sebastien