RE: Object Write Latency

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013, Andreas Joachim Peters wrote:
> We deployed 3 OSDs with an EXT4 using RapidDisk in-memory.
>
> The FS does 140k/s append+sync and the latency is now:
>
> ~1 ms for few byte objects with single replica
> ~2 ms for few byte objects three replica  (instead of 65-80ms)
>
> This gives probably the base-line of the best you can do with the
> current implementation.
>
> ==> the 80ms are probably just a 'feature' of the hardware (JBOD
> disks/controller) and we might try to find some tuning parameters to
> improve the latency slightly.
>
> Could you just explain how the async api functions (is_complete,
> is_safe) map to the three states
>
> 1) object is transferred from client to all OSDs and is present in memory there

Nothing happens yet..

> 2) object is written to the OSD journal

Client gets a COMMIT, which implies ACK

> 3) object is committed from OSD journal to the OSD filesystem

OSD now allows subsequent reads, or read/modify/write operations.

> Is it correct that the object is visible by clients only when 3) has
> happened?

Yeah.

The ACK (operation is serialized and visible) vs COMMIT (operation is now
durable) was conceived under the assumption that the serialized+visible
step would be cheaper than making it durable.  This is the case for btrfs.
Because of this, the COMMIT message implies ACK, so the client will see
either ACK + COMMIT or COMMIT, but never COMMIT + ACK.

For ext4 and xfs, we need to do write-ahead journaling just for
consistency, so the commit happens first.

Hope that helps!

I still think you should look at the logs for the JBOD hardware to see
where the time is spent; it sounds like there is room for improvement.

sage