subdir-objects

Hi Ceph devs,

I'm working on doing some structuring/designing plugins for RGW. In a
recent discussion with Yehuda, I'm looking into how we can statically
link 'plugins' into the RGW core (so, not really plugins, but more of
a code separation).

However, the ceph automake structure doesn't use AM's subdir-objects
settings, which is causing me headaches. The reason: two 'plugins'
might share similar filenames in different subdirectories;

./src/rgw/plugins/example/plugin.cc
./src/rgw/plugins/hello_world/plugin.cc

Both of which, of course, gets compiled into radosgw-plugin.o because
of the absence of the subdir-objects setting. I can not circumvent
this by making it a library, because partially linking prevents me
from auto-registering the plugins in the RGW core. The only fix for
this is making the RGW core aware of the subdirs/plugins, but I think
that's nasty design. I'd like to have it in my make conf.

So, the question is; is there a reason why we don't use subdir objects?

Roald