Re: Review request : Erasure Code plugin loader implementation

Hi Loic,

One other thought on http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/5878:

The user interface there would let you adjust various parameters of the
pool's erasure coding scheme after the pool is created.  As a practical
matter, I suspect that many/most of these fields will be specified exactly
once (at pool creation time) and will be immutable properties of the pool
after that.  The m/k at a minimum need to match up with what we are
requesting out of crush.  And once there is data stored, I don't think it
will make sense to be able to change the encoding scheme for new objects
and still be able to deal with old objects.  (Or maybe it will be, if the
code metadata is in the object_info_t.)

Even if we do support changing some of these on the fly, though, I suspect
the most important interface, and the first we implement, will be
something like

 ceph osd pool create <name> [key=value ...]

the various parameters listed, like EC algorithm, m, k, and pg_num.  We
can probably generalize the mon command interface to have a key/value list
type that will make this easy to plumb from the CLI (and trivial via
ceph-rest-api).

sage