Re: Upgrading from 0.61.5 to 0.61.6 ended in disaster

On 2013-07-25 17:46, Sage Weil wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jul 2013, peter@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
We did not upgrade from bobtail to cuttlefish and are still seeing this issue. I posted this on the ceph-users mailinglist and I missed this thread (sorry!)
so I didn't know.

That's interesting; a bobtail upgraded cluster was the only way I was able to reproduce it, but I'm also working with relatively short-lived clusters in a test environment so there may very well be a possibility I missed. Can you summarize what the lineage of your cluster is? (What version was
it installed with, and when was it upgraded and to what versions?)

Either way, I also have an osd crashing after upgrading to 0.61.6. As said on the other list, I'm more than happy to share log files etc with you guys.

Will take a look.

Thanks!
sage

Hi Sage,

Did you happen to find out what is causing the osd crash? I'm not sure what the best way is to recover from this.

Thanks,

Peter

Thanks,

Peter

This is fixed in the cuttlefish branch as of earlier this afternoon. I've
spent most of the day expanding the automated test suite to include
upgrade combinations to trigger this and *finally* figured out that this particular problem seems to surface on clusters that upgraded from bobtail
-> cuttlefish but not clusters created on cuttlefish.

If you've run into this issue, please use the cuttlefish branch build for now. We will have a release out in the next day or so that includes this
and a few other pending fixes.

I'm sorry we missed this one! The upgrade test matrix I've been working
on today should catch this type of issue in the future.

Thanks!
sage