Re: Contribution

Hi,

sorry for the response delay, it's a holiday around here now.

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 6:58 AM, christophe courtaut
<christophe.courtaut@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Yehuda,
>
> Thanks for pointing out tasks to me.
>
> I have lately worked on theses tasks.
> We are done with #1779, #5228 and #5324.
>
> #Issue #1779:
>
> This issue has been marked has resolved, but as Greg pointed out here
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/1779,
> it might be backported.
>
> Do you agree? If so, where should it be backported?

It doesn't look to me like a bug fix that needs backporting.

> Issue #3074:
>
> I started looking at #3074, which one seems to be trivial,
> but as commented on the issue http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/3074,
> the options that should be in the help does not only belong to radosgw,
> but seems to be a generic option parsed in many binaries.
> i would need more info to step forward.
>
> Do we duplicate the option help in each binaries supporting it?
> Do we use generic help? Or something else maybe?

There is some generic help system for the common commands. Look at
src/common/ceph_argparse.cc:generic_usage() and friends.

> Issue #5416:
>
> I digged into ceph code to find about the --rgw-zone option, but i had
> no chance in finding where this option is parsed, so i'll be able to write help
> for it.
> As you told me too, i looked into cuttlefish branch, and many others,
> but still can't find it.
> It would be great if you could point me out where exactly does this
> option lives.

That's a generic config option, it's defined in
src/common/config_opts.h. It's only relevant to the radosgw, and
radosgw-admin binaries though.

> Issue #5374:
>
> A pull request has been made for the #5374, and you commented on it.
> Btw i think the #5374 should be sandboxed to this issue and we should open
> a new one for the feature you request about S3 keystone.

I agree

> S3 Keystone:
>
> As i am new to keystone and s3, i need more explanation on the work to
> be done here.
> I'm not familiar with the authentication process in S3, and on how it could rely
> on keystone. Do you have any ideas on what should be done?

The idea is that there should be an alternative way to authenticate S3
requests. Currently we handle the S3 authentication by verifying
signature against the one we calculate by having the user credentials
internally. However, certain deployments might just want to have the
S3 users controlled by Keystone, and not create their credentials on
the rados backend. We do a similar thing with swift, in which we send
a request to Keystone to verify the tokens that we get. With S3 it's a
bit different, as there's no real way to cache the 'tokens'. But in
any case, it'll require sending a request to Keystone to validate the
signature. I opened issue #5506 for that.

> temp URLs:
>
> You mentionned earlier a mecanism of temp URLs, already present in S3.
> How does it works? What are there purpose?

E.g., when providing a URL that accesses a private data. Unlike
regular S3 authenticated requests, all the auth data resides in the
request as request params (and not as HTTP fields).  The request
params have a timestamp that specifies until when this url is valid,
and also a signature.

> Issue #4365:
>
> For the #4365 issue, i think i miss some info about
> what to do exactly. Do you have any hints on how wildcard role works?
> How does rgw need to integrate this wildcard roles? new Rest API command?

Currently we only allow Keystone users that have specific
(preconfigured) roles set to access the system. A wildcard role will
allow any Keystone users to access the system.

> Vstart documentation:
>
> I also submitted another pull request on vstart documentation.
> As i previously written a manpage a while ago, i have been told
> that a manpage is not the good way to document vstart.
> I now propose a new documentation page.
>
> All feedbacks are very welcome.

Great. I'll take a look at that, but probably Greg and Sage may want
to take a look at it too (CC'ed).

Thanks!