windows rbd

What would be the bare minimum to be implemented for a windows rbd kernel driver? In the Linux kernel I can see a drivers/block/rbd.c, which in turn uses net/ceph/*. There is also fs/ceph/* for the filesystem stuff.

Is a windows client even a worthwhile exercise? I know I can use an iscsi gateway or something like that but that adds complexity and probably latency, and kind of takes away from the distributed nature of ceph.

The other advantage of a native driver is that it could be integrated better with snapshot functionality for VSS, reducing system load for backups.

I can see one project to create a windows driver but it appears to be aborted... http://code.google.com/p/cephwin/

Is anyone else working on this at the moment?

James