Re: fscache support

Hi Milosz,
On Fri, 17 May 2013, Milosz Tanski wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I'm working on netfs-fscache support to the kernel ceph filesystem
> client. The other filesystems in the kernel that have implemented it
> are NFS and AFS.

Awesome!

> In the cache of a inode, how do I tell that's I'm the only person that
> has this file open. So I can tell that I can safely cache the file.
> After reading the code I imagine it has something to do with the
> CEPH_CAP_FILE_SHARED, CEPH_CAP_FILE_EXCL and CEPH_CAP_FILE_CACHE. But
> I wasn't able to find enough info to know that I've implemented my
> cache invalidation correctly.

FILE_CACHE means that we are allowed to cache what we read.  The way to
invalidate is to look at the rdcache_gen field in the ceph inode struct;
if it has increased, that FILE_CACHE cap has been revoked and reissued,
and what we had from before is stale.

Does the cache persist across restarts/remounts?  That is a bit more
difficult, although it's possible we have a version field we can use for
that as well...

sage