Re: ceph and efficient access of distributed resources

If I correctly understand the discussion, you are correct
that I/O could be saved by doing this ... were it not for
the fact the I/O in question is already being saved much
more effectively by someone else.

The entire web is richly festooned with cache servers whose
sole raison d'etre is to solve precisely this problem.  They
are so good at it that back-bone providers often find it more
cash-efficient to buy more cache servers than to lay more
fiber.  Cache servers don't merely save disk I/O, they catch
these requests before they reach the server (or even the
backbone).