ceph and efficient access of distributed resources

As I understand it, in Ceph one can cluster storage nodes, but otherwise
every node is essentially identical, so if three storage nodes have a file,
ceph randomly uses one of them.

This is not efficient use of network resources in a distributed data center.
Or even in a multi-rack situation.

I want to prefer accessing nodes which are "local".
The client in rack A should prefer to read from the storage nodes that are
also in rack A.
Ditto for rack B.
Ditto for s/rack/data center/.

As far as I understand, the Ceph clients can't do that.
(Nor can Ceph nodes among each other, but I care less about that, as most
traffic is reading data.)

I think this is an important feature for many high-reliability situations.

What would be the next steps to get this feature, assuming I don't have time
to implement it myself? Persistently annoy this mailing list that people
need it? Offer to pay for implementing it? Shut up and look for some other
solution -- which I already did, but I didn't find any that's as good as
Ceph, otherwise?

I've opened a feature request for this, half a year ago, which hasn't seen
any comments yet: http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/3249

-- Matthias Urlichs