Re: Trouble getting a new file system to start, for v0.59 and newer

On 04/03/2013 04:40 PM, Jim Schutt wrote:

>> > I would be curious to hear roughly what value between 30 and 300 is
>> > sufficient, if you can experiment just a bit.  We probably want to adjust
>> > the default.
>> >
>> > Perhaps more importantly, we'll need to look at the performance of the pg
>> > stat updates on the mon.  There is a refactor due in that code that should
>> > improve life, but it's slated for dumpling.
> OK, here's some results, with all debugging at 0, using current next...
>
> My testing is for 1 mon + 576 OSDs, 24/host. All my storage cluster hosts
> use 10 GbE NICs now.  The mon host uses an SSD for the mon data store.
> My test procedure is to start 'ceph -w', start all the OSDs, and once
> they're all running start the mon.  I report the time from starting
> the mon to all PGs active+clean.

As a sanity check, to be sure I wasn't doing something differently
now than I remember doing before, I re-ran this test for v0.57,
v0.58, and v0.59, using default 'osd mon ack timeout', default
'paxos propose interval', and no debugging:

        55,392 PGs   221,568 PGs
v0.57    1m 07s        9m 42s
v0.58    1m 04s       11m 44s
v0.59     >30m      not attempted

The v0.57/v0.58 runs showed no signs of stress, e.g. no
slow op reports, etc.

The v0.59 run behaved as I previously reported, i.e.,
lots of stale peers, OSDs wrongly marked down, etc.,
before I gave up on it.

-- Jim