Re: Trouble getting a new file system to start, for v0.59 and newer

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, Jim Schutt wrote:
> On 04/03/2013 11:49 AM, Gregory Farnum wrote:

> >> It's a timeout, so the generic downsides to larger timeouts ? if the
> >> monitor actually has gone away it's going to take the OSDs more time
> >> to connect to somebody else for their updates and reports. This will
> >> probably be most apparent if they're trying to peer and can't make
> >> progress until they get acks from the monitors, but the one they're
> >> connected to has died.

> >> It's not noise ? the reason this timeout is causing problems now is
> >> that the monitor disk commits are taking so long that it looks like
> >> they've failed. Which is bad. :/ So thanks for reporting it!
> >
> > Sorry, guess I forgot some of the history since this piece at least is
> > resolved now. I'm surprised if 30-second timeouts are causing issues
> > without those overloads you were seeing; have you seen this issue
> > without your high debugging levels and without the bad PG commits (due
> > to debugging)?
>
> I think so, because that's why I started with higher debugging
> levels.
>
> But, as it turns out, I'm just in the process of returning to my
> testing of next, with all my debugging back to 0.  So, I'll try
> the default timeout of 30 seconds first.  If I have trouble starting
> up a new file system, I'll turn up the timeout and try again, without
> any extra debugging.  Either way, I'll let you know what happens.

I would be curious to hear roughly what value between 30 and 300 is
sufficient, if you can experiment just a bit.  We probably want to adjust
the default.

Perhaps more importantly, we'll need to look at the performance of the pg
stat updates on the mon.  There is a refactor due in that code that should
improve life, but it's slated for dumpling.

sage