Re: crush changes via cli

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013, Gregory Farnum wrote:
>> > >

>> > Good idea; I'll add that.

>> > 'rm' only works on an empty bucket, so I'm not sure there is much danger
>> > is removing all links (and the bucket) in that case?
>>
>> Well, if "unlink" takes it out of the tree without requiring it to be empty then that would be one case.
>
> Oh, right.  That's true.  I'm still not a fan of an --all flag, though.
> In almost all cases, users will have maps with only 1 link, so the
> required flag will be confusing.  It also breaks the current behavior
> (which already removes all links).

I was thinking that if there was only one link it would remove that
one. I didn't realize it currently removed all links — although I
dimly remember a bug about just randomly taking the first one it
finds. Is that new-ish behavior?

>> I guess mostly I'm just not sure what the use case is for keeping around
>> unlinked buckets so I'd rather keep the set of CLI options simpler. It's
>> not that hard to link a bucket into the tree where you want it and then
>> remove the other links.
>
> Yeah, that isn't often useful in and of itself... but it is possible (and
> often required) to create independent trees, and if you can link them, you
> have to be able to unlink them.

Currently we just have "rm", right? And that removes the link and the
bucket? Can't we just keep "rm" and for multiply-linked buckets
require a specification of which ancestor to remove the link from (or
a --all flag), and then delete the bucket when the final link is
removed?