Re: CephFS First product release discussion

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> > Wido, by 'user quota' do you mean something that is uid-based, or would
> > enforcement on subtree/directory quotas be sufficient for your use cases?
> > I've been holding out hope that uid-based usage accounting is a thing of
> > the past and that subtrees are sufficient for real users... in which case
> > adding enfocement to the existing rstats infrastructure is a very
> > manageable task.
> >

> I mean actual uid-based quotas. That still plays nice with shared environments
> like Samba or so where you have all homedirectories on a shared filesystems
> and you set per user quotas. Samba reads out those quotas and propagates them
> to the (Windows) client.

Does samba propagate the quota information (how much space is
used/available) or do enforcement on the client side?  (Is client
enforcement even necessary/useful if the backend will stop writes when the
quota is exceeded?)

> I know this was a problem with ZFS as well. They also said they could do "per
> filesystem quotas" so that would be sufficient, but for example NFS doesn't
> export filesystems mounted in a export, so if you have a bunch of
> homedirectories on the filesystem and you want to account the usage of each
> user it's getting kind of hard.
>
> This could be solved if the clients directly mounted CephFS though.
>
> I'm talking about setups where you have 100k users in a LDAP and they all have
> their data in a single filesystem and you want to track the usage of each
> user, that's not an easy task without uid-based quotas.

Wouldn't each user live in a sub- or home directory?  If so, it seems like
the existing rstats would be sufficient to do the accounting piece; only
enforcement is missing.

> Running 'du' on each directory would be much faster with Ceph since it
> accounts tracks the subdirectories and shows their total size with an 'ls
> -al'.
>
> Environments with 100k users also tend to be very dynamic with adding and
> removing users all the time, so creating separate filesystems for them would
> be very time consuming.
>
> Now, I'm not talking about enforcing soft or hard quotas, I'm just talking
> about knowing how much space uid X and Y consume on the filesystem.

The part I'm most unclear on is what use cases people have where uid X and
Y are spread around the file system (not in a single or small set of sub
directories) and per-user (not, say, per-project) quotas are still
necessary.  In most environments, users get their own home directory and
everything lives there...

sage