Re: CephFS First product release discussion

On 03/05/2013 07:28 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
On Tue, 5 Mar 2013, Greg Farnum wrote:
On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
On 03/05/2013 06:03 PM, Greg Farnum wrote:
This is a companion discussion to the blog post at http://ceph.com/dev-notes/cephfs-mds-status-discussion/ ? go read that!

The short and slightly alternate version: I spent most of about two weeks working on bugs related to snapshots in the MDS, and we started realizing that we could probably do our first supported release of CephFS and the related infrastructure much sooner if we didn't need to support all of the whizbang features. (This isn't to say that the base feature set is stable now, but it's much closer than when you turn on some of the other things.) I'd like to get feedback from you in the community on what minimum supported feature set would prompt or allow you to start using CephFS in real environments ? not what you'd *like* to see, but what you *need* to see. This will allow us at Inktank to prioritize more effectively and hopefully get out a supported release much more quickly! :)

The current proposed feature set is basically what's left over after we've trimmed off everything we can think to split off, but if any of the proposed included features are also particularly important or don't matter, be sure to mention them (NFS export in particular ? it works right now but isn't in great shape due to NFS filehandle caching).

Great news! Although RBD and RADOS itself are already great, a lot of
applications would still require a shared filesystem.

Think about a (Cloud|Open)Stack environment with thousands of instances
running but also need some form of shared filesystem.

One thing I'm missing though is user-quotas, have they been discussed at
all and what would the work to implement those involve?

I know it would require a lot more tracking per file so it's not that
easy and would certainly not make it into a first release, but are they
on the roadmap at all?

Not at present. I think there are some tickets related to this in the
tracker as feature requests, but CephFS needs more groundwork about
multi-tenancy in general before we can do reasonable planning around a
robust user quota feature. (Near-real-time hacks are possible now based
around the rstats infrastructure and I believe somebody has built them,
though I've never seen them myself.)

Wido, by 'user quota' do you mean something that is uid-based, or would
enforcement on subtree/directory quotas be sufficient for your use cases?
I've been holding out hope that uid-based usage accounting is a thing of
the past and that subtrees are sufficient for real users... in which case
adding enfocement to the existing rstats infrastructure is a very
manageable task.

I mean actual uid-based quotas. That still plays nice with shared environments like Samba or so where you have all homedirectories on a shared filesystems and you set per user quotas. Samba reads out those quotas and propagates them to the (Windows) client.

I know this was a problem with ZFS as well. They also said they could do "per filesystem quotas" so that would be sufficient, but for example NFS doesn't export filesystems mounted in a export, so if you have a bunch of homedirectories on the filesystem and you want to account the usage of each user it's getting kind of hard.

This could be solved if the clients directly mounted CephFS though.

I'm talking about setups where you have 100k users in a LDAP and they all have their data in a single filesystem and you want to track the usage of each user, that's not an easy task without uid-based quotas.

Running 'du' on each directory would be much faster with Ceph since it accounts tracks the subdirectories and shows their total size with an 'ls -al'.

Environments with 100k users also tend to be very dynamic with adding and removing users all the time, so creating separate filesystems for them would be very time consuming.

Now, I'm not talking about enforcing soft or hard quotas, I'm just talking about knowing how much space uid X and Y consume on the filesystem.

Wido

sage

Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.