Re: Crash and strange things on MDS

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Kevin Decherf <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 05:09:30PM -0800, Gregory Farnum wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks for the analyze. We use only one ceph-fuse client at this time
>> > which makes all "high-load" commands like rsync, tar and cp on a huge
>> > amount of files. Well, I will replace it by the kernel client.
>>
>> Oh, that bug is just an explanation of what's happening; I believe it
>> exists in the kernel client as well.
>
> After setting the mds cache size to 900k, storms are gone.
> However we continue to observe high latency on some clients (always the
> same clients): each IO takes between 40 and 90ms (for example with
> Wordpress, it takes ~20 seconds to load all needed files...).
> With a non-laggy client, IO requests take less than 1ms.

I can't be sure from that description, but it sounds like you've got
one client which is generally holding the RW "caps" on the files, and
then another client which comes in occasionally to read those same
files. That requires the first client to drop its caps, and involves a
couple round-trip messages and is going to take some time — this is an
unavoidable consequence if you have clients sharing files, although
there's probably still room for us to optimize.

Can you describe your client workload in a bit more detail?
-Greg