Re: Crash and strange things on MDS

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:19:36AM -0800, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 3:47 AM, Kevin Decherf <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> This is consistent with Sam's suggestion that MDS is thrashing its
> >> cache, and is grabbing a directory object off of the OSDs. How large
> >> are the directories you're using? If they're a significant fraction of
> >> your cache size, it might be worth enabling the (sadly less stable)
> >> directory fragmentation options, which will split them up into smaller
> >> fragments that can be independently read and written to disk.
> >
> > I set mds cache size to 400000 but now I observe ~900Mbps peaks from
> > osd.14 to the active mds, osd.18 and osd.2.
> >
> > osd.14 shares some pg with osd.18 and osd.2:
> > http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=uBAcTcu4
>
> The high bandwidth from OSD to MDS really isn't a concern — that's the
> MDS asking for data and getting it back quickly! We're concerned about
> client responsiveness; has that gotten better?

It seems better now, I didn't see any storm so far.

But we observe high latency on some of our clients (with no load). Does
it exist any documentation on how to read the perfcounters_dump output?
I would like to know if the MDS still has any problem with its cache or
if the latency comes from elsewhere.

--
Kevin Decherf - @Kdecherf
GPG C610 FE73 E706 F968 612B E4B2 108A BD75 A81E 6E2F