Re: [ceph-users] snapshot, clone and mount a VM-Image

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Wolfgang Hennerbichler wrote:

> On 02/11/2013 03:02 PM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
>
> > You are looking at a way to "extract" the snapshot, correct?
>
> No.
>
> > Why would
> > you want to mount it and backup the files?
>
> because then I can do things like incremental backups. There will be a
> ceph cluster at an ISP soon, who hosts various services on various VMs,
> and it is important that the mailspool for example is backed up
> efficiently, because it's huge and the number of files is also high.

Note that an alternative way to approach incremental backups is at the
block device level.  We plan to implement an incremental backup function
for the relative change between two snapshots (or a snapshot and the
head).  It's O(n) the size of the device vs the number of files, but
should be more efficient for all but the most sparse of images.  The
implementation should be simple; the challenge is mostly around the
incremental file format, probably.

That doesn't help you now, but would be a relatively self-contained piece
of functionality for someone to contribute to RBD.  This isn't a top
priority yet, so it will be a while before the inktank devs can get to it.

sage