Re: ssh passwords

Since you are chatting about ceph-deploy tomorrow, I'll chime in with
a bit more.

I'm interested in ceph-deploy since it can be a light-weight
production appropriate installer.  The docs repeatedly warn that
mkcephfs is not intended for production clusters, and Neil reminds us
that the expectation is that production clusters will likely use a
config management tool.  Seems like that is most likely Chef, but I
know there are others.

I've always wondered "why" mkcephfs isn't suitable.  Looking at the
Chef recipes and ceph-deploy, my best explanation is that these other
tools use ceph-disk-prepare to take advantage of GPT and to label the
disks for Ceph's use.  Then you can use the Upstart scripts to auto
recognize prepared disks and automatically add them to the cluster.
This scales a lot better than having to add each disk (assigned to a
node) in ceph.conf and using /etc/init.d/ceph to stop/start the
cluster.   It also makes it quite a lot easier to add new OSDs to the
cluster.  Is that about right?

If that's on the right track, I'm interested in ceph-deploy to achieve
these goals because at the moment we're not interested in deploying
Chef (or Puppet), great tools that they are.  Down the road, sure, but
only once we have some in-house experience/expertise, which we
currently do not.  Having a standalone tool that is just "simple"
Python seems like a nice alternative.

Those are my thoughts!

 - Travis