Re: Current OSD weight vs. target weight

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013, Christopher Kunz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if run during a user-issued reweight (i.e. "ceph osd crush reweight x
> y"), "ceph osd tree" shows the target weight of an OSD. Is there a way
> to see the *current* weight of the OSD?
>
> We would like to be able to approximate the amount of rollback necessary
> per OSD if we need to cancel a larger reweight at some point. This seems
> impossible, though, without knowing the current weight.
>
> Any hints how to do this?

There are two things you have: the previous weight (before you changed it,
if you remember), and what you see from 'df'.  The latter is found in the
tail end of the 'ceph pg dump' output.

The thing to keep in mind, though, is that rolling back doesn't generally
let you capture partial rebalance progress.  If you change the weight of a
node from 1 to .8, wait for about half of the data to move, and then
change it to .9, half will be remapped back to the original location, but
it is a different random subset of the data.. which mean that 1/4 will
have been moved and be in the right place, 1/4 will have moved but have to
move back, 1/4 will not have moved but still need to move, and 1/4 will
have not moved and not need to.

So in the end, that "half-way point" is similar to the point of no return:
it's just as much work to go back as it is to finish.  If you are going to
correct mid-stream, I would try to do so quickly, and probably just go
back to the original weight instead of something in-between.

sage