Re: rbd kernel driver on the osd server

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013, Harald R??ler wrote:
> >    Hi,
> >
> >    On 01/13/2013 05:08 PM, Harald R??ler wrote:
> >    > Hi,
> >    >
> >    > couple of month ago I read about a limitation to run an RBD kernel
> >    driver on the osd server. Is this limitation still valid? The reason in
> >    Ubuntu and Debian there is no support for the RBD devices in QEMU. At the
> >    moment, in our setup  the KVM's are running on the OSD servers.
> >    >

> >    I don't think so, but somebody might correct me here.
>
> I am the same opinion, but I was not sure, I found this information on
> some websites including in the "old" CEPH wiki and in the CEPH IRC logs.

The other problem to consider is the possibility of deadlock under memory
pressure.  This is a problem with any network file system or block device
that is backed by a user-level process on the same host.  When the VM
system is under memory pressure, it will ask the fs to write out some
dirty pages, which will be sent to a user-level process, that may need to
allocate memory, which will block until the kernel is able to free more
memory.  Deadlock.

Machines with lots of memory and very conservative VM settings can
probably avoid this in practice, but it is technically possible,
and with default settings isn't terribly hard to trigger.

sage