Re: rbd kernel driver on the osd server

>    Hi,
>
>    On 01/13/2013 05:08 PM, Harald Rößler wrote:
>    > Hi,
>    >
>    > couple of month ago I read about a limitation to run an RBD kernel
>    driver on the osd server. Is this limitation still valid? The reason in
>    Ubuntu and Debian there is no support for the RBD devices in QEMU. At the
>    moment, in our setup  the KVM's are running on the OSD servers.
>    >

>    I don't think so, but somebody might correct me here.

I am the same opinion, but I was not sure, I found this information on some websites including in the "old" CEPH wiki and in the CEPH IRC logs.

>    The OSDs nowadays use syncfs which leads them to only syncing their
>    filesystem instead of ALL the filesystems on that host.
>
>    It might however be that Qemu calls sync() instead of syncfs() which
>    still causes everything to be synced, which can lead to problems I guess.

Thank you for this information, If I got it right, use the kernel driver on the host system I can expect more performance than via QEMU. I will test it on our development system.

>    Regarding your reason for doing this, RBD is supported in Ubuntu's Qemu.
>
>    Under Ubuntu precise it already works:
>    http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/qemu-kvm
>
>    The problem is that the shipped version of Ceph is 0.41, which might be
>    too old.
>
>    I've been following the Blueprint for Ubuntu 13.04 and that will have
>    all the Ceph stuff (Qemu and libvirt) you want with version 0.56.1

I will keep this in mind. Thanks!!