Re: Windows port

>>> On 2013/01/08 at 10:08, Gregory Farnum <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Cesar Mello <cmello@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been playing with ceph and reading the docs/thesis the last
>> couple of nights just to learn something during my vacation. I was
not
>> expecting to find such an awesome and state of the art project.
>> Congratulations for the great work!
>>
>> Please I would like to know if a Windows port is imagined for the
>> future or if that is a dead-end. By Windows port I mean an
abstraction
>> layer for hardware/sockets/threading/etc and building with Visual
C++
>> 2012 Express. And then have this state of the art object storage
>> cluster running on Windows nodes too.
>
> This is not super-likely (although it's not impossible either).
> Inktank is a long way from doing the necessary development for this
*
> we don't have any Windows developers on staff. External contributors
> who are interested in doing the work themselves would certainly get
> some support in doing so, but I can't even begin to estimate the
size
> of the project that would be required. Would a simple abstraction
> layer be able to provide the right interface with anything
approaching
> acceptable performance? I really don't know.

I think this also depends on the scope of the effort - what portions of
ceph are ported to Windows.  I have to confess that I do not see a lot
of value in porting the OSD, MDS, and MON daemons to Windows.  This just
doesn't make a lot of sense - if you're setting aside machines
specifically for a distributed filesystem, why not just run Linux?  The
piece that I can see being useful in a Windows port is actually just the
filesystem client.  I have cases where it would actually be really,
really nice to be able to mount my ceph filesystem natively on
Windows-based machines.  I think this type of effort is much more
manageable (warning: that's the ignorant opinion of an IT manager, not a
skilled developer ;-) - it seems that porting the FUSE Ceph client over
to something like Dokan (user mode filesystem on Windows, FUSE
look-alike) might be a feasible task.  I do understand that InkTank is
more interested in building out the existing system on the existing
platforms, but Cesar, Dino, if you're interested in a Windows port of
the ceph client, porting the FUSE client over to Dokan might be a good
place to start.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.
ÿôèº{.nÇ+?·?®?­?+%?Ëÿ±éݶ¥?wÿº{.nÇ+?·?z?ÿuëÞ?ø§¶?¡Üš}©?²Æ zÚ&j:+v?šþø¯ù®w¥þ?à2?Þ?šè­Ú&¢)ß¡«a¶Úÿÿûàz¿äz¹Þ?ú+?ù???Ý¢jÿ?wèþf