Re: mon not marking dead osds down and slow streaming write performance

On Sat, 22 Dec 2012, Michael Chapman wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Dec 2012, Michael Chapman wrote:
> >> I'll remove them properly. Thanks for your help. Do you have any
> >> suggestions on the second (mon IO) issue I'm seeing?
> >
> > Whoops, missed it:

> > Is the ceph-mon daemon running on its own disk (or /), separate from the
> > osds?  My first guess is that this is could be a sync(2) issue.
>
> It's on /
> Is that going to be bad? My first thought was that maybe too much
> logging was bringing it down but there's very little iops in the log
> directory during use.

/ should be fine, as long as the ceph-osd's are on their own disk.  My
next guess is that there might be a lot of logging going on, but I guess
that's not it either.

Long iowait on / isn't necessarily bad.  The mon is doing an fsync on
every write, which is not going to be very fast.  There aren't too many
writes, though.

The bursty write behavior may be unrelated to the mons.  Just to be sure,
you could mark the osds on the ceph-mon nodes 'out' (ceph osd out 1 2 3
...) so that they are not being used and see if the burstiness is still
there...

sage