Re: Statistics / Nagios

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Stefan Priebe <s.priebe@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Am 25.11.2012 20:08, schrieb Gregory Farnum:
>
>> On Sunday, November 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Stefan Priebe wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> are there any useful statistics for ceph? ceph -s shows just the status
>>> but i would like to record something which gives me an idea about the
>>> ceph load or usage.
>>

>> Each daemon has an admin socket which you can use to extract
>> "perfcounters" (performance counters). It's not well-documented at all right
>> now, unfortunately.
>> "ceph --admin-daemon /path/to/admin/socket help"
>> "ceph --admin-daemon /path/to/admin/socket perfcounters_dump"
>>
>> "ceph --admin-daemon /path/to/admin/socket perfcounters_schema"
>>
>> should get you started.
>> http://ceph.com/docs/master/radosgw/troubleshooting has some examples of
>> troubleshooting the gateway with them.
>

> thanks! I don't use radosgw. Just ceph-mon and ceph-osd with rbd block
> devices.
>
> So i have to query each OSD on their own?

That's how it stands at present, yep.

> Right now i have
> [global]
>   admin socket=/var/run/ceph.sock
>
> but that gives:
> # ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph.sock perfcounters_schema
> {}

Hrm, I'm getting a full schema out of it when I test locally. I
suspect that maybe you're trying to query the admin tool's socket when
you do that — everybody, including the client tools, will export one
if it's set for them. Try using the $name metavariable as part of the
path.
-Greg