Re: OSD network failure

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Josh Durgin <josh.durgin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/15/2012 01:51 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
>>
>> 2012/11/15 Josh Durgin <josh.durgin@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>>
>>> So basically you'd only need a single nic per storage node. Multiple
>>> can be useful to separate frontend and backend traffic, but ceph
>>> is designed to maintain strong consistency when failures occur.
>>

>> Probably i've not exaplained well.
>> I'll have multiple nics, one for frontend, one for backend used as ODS
>> sync network.
>> What happens in case of backend network failure? The frontend network
>> is still ok, OSD is
>> still reachable but is not able to sync datas.
>

> Ah, ok. By default, the OSDs use the backend network for heartbeats,
> so if it fails, they will notice and report peers they can't reach as
> failed to the monitors, and the normal failure handling takes care
> of things.
>
> If you're worried about consistency, remember that a write won't
> complete until it's on disk on all replicas. If you're interested
> in the gory details of maintaining consistency, check out the peering
> process [1].
>
> Josh
>
> [1] http://ceph.com/docs/master/dev/peering/

Actually, right now a failed cluster and an up public network is
something the OSDs do not handle well — they will mark each other down
on the monitor and then tell the monitor "hey, I'm not dead!" and
start flapping pretty horrendously. We first ran across it a couple
weeks ago and have started to think about it, but I'm not sure a fix
for this is going to make it into the initial Bobtail release. :(
-Greg