Re: problems creating new ceph cluster when using journal on block device

On 08/11/12 21:08, Wido den Hollander wrote:

On 08-11-12 08:29, Travis Rhoden wrote:
Hey folks,

I'm trying to set up a brand new Ceph cluster, based on v0.53.  My
hardware has SSDs for journals, and I'm trying to get mkcephfs to
intialize everything for me. However, the command hangs forever and I
eventually have to kill it.

After poking around a bit, it's clear that the problem has something
to do with the journal.  If I comment out the journal in ceph.conf,
the commands proceed just find.  This is the first time I've tried to
throw a journal on a block device rather than a file, so maybe I've
done something wrong with that.

Here is the info from ceph.conf:

[osd]
         osd journal size = 4000

Not sure if this is the problem, but when using a block device you don't
have to specify the size for the journal.

Also might be useful to know make/model of ssd, plus motherboard make/model (in case commenting out size does not fix)!

Regards

Mark