Re: What would a good OSD node hardware configuration look like?

On 11/06/2012 08:30 PM, Josh Durgin wrote:
> On 11/05/2012 06:49 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>>>
>>> This mainly depends on your ratio of disks to cpu/ram. Generally we
>>> recommend 1GB ram and 1Ghz per OSD. If you've got enough cpu/ram,
>>> running 1 OSD/disk is pretty common. It makes recovering from a
>>> single disk failure faster.
>>
>> So basically a 2Ghz quad-core CPU and 8GB RAM would be sufficient for 8
>> OSDs?
>
> Yes, although more RAM will be better (providing more page cache).

>>> This is certainly possible. It's a bit less overhead if you give each
>>> osd it's own partition of the ssd(s) instead of going through another
>>> filesystem.
>>>
>>> I suspect it would be better to not use raid-1, since these ssds will be
>>> receiving all the data the osds write as well. If they're in raid-1 instead
>>> of being used independently, their lifetimes might be much
>>> shorter.
>>
>> My primary concern here is fault tolerance. What happens when the journal
>> disk dies? Can ceph cope with that and write directly to the OSDs or would
>> that mean that with a single shared disk for all OSDs a failure would mean
>> the entire system is effectively offline for ceph?
>
> I'm going to point to some messages in the archives to avoid repetition:
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ceph.devel/6377

>>> In cephfs and rbd, objects are distributed over the cluster, but the
>>> OSDs/node ratio doesn't really affect the performance. It's more
>>> dependent on the workload and striping policy. For example, with
>>> a small stripe size, small sequential writes will benefit from more
>>> osds, but the number per node isn't particularly important.
>>
>> By OSDs/Nodes I really meant "OSDs or nodes" and not the ratio. What I'm
>> trying to understand is if a) the number of nodes plays a significant role
>> when it comes to performance (e.g. a 4 node cluster with large disks vs. a
>> 16 node cluster with smaller disks) and b) how much of an impact the number
>> of OSDs has on the cluster e.g. an 8 node cluster with each node being a
>> single OSD (with all disks as raid-0) vs. an 8 node cluster with say 64
>> OSDs (each node with 8 disks as individual OSDs).
>
> Generally more smaller nodes will recover faster from a node or disk
> failure than a few larger node, since the remaining OSDs recover in
> parallel. There are some other advantages of many small nodes. Wido and
> Stefan covered this well in this thread:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ceph.devel/10212

So that sound like a raid-1 (or potentially a raid-10) is pretty much a
must when using a shared ssd disk for the journals for more than one OSD.
Without redundancy the failure of a single disk (the journal one) would
take down all OSDs on that node making a multi OSD per node setup pointless.

Regards,
  Dennis