Re: Two questions about client writes update to Ceph

Hi Alex,

1) When a replica goes, down the write won't complete until the
replica is detected as down.  At that point, the write can complete
without the down replica.  Shortly thereafter, if the down replica
does not come back, a new replica will replace it bringing the
replication count to what it should be.  In the scenario you
described, the transaction will be re-replicated to the replicas when
they come back up (or to new replicas if they don't).

2) The clients don't have a local, durable journal.  The client side
state acts like the volatile cache on a spinning disk: flushing the
disk io will force the data to become durable on an OSD (either in the
journal or synced to the filesystem).

-Sam