Re: Ceph Bug #2563

Since my last messages, I have made new btrfs filesystems on my osd
partitions, and completely re-initialised my ceph, without the
compression on the osds.

The ceph is on a single machine with an intel core i7 processor and 8G
RAM. There are four 3Tb seagate disk drives.

I have the drives partitioned with most of the space dedicated to osd
use, with the remaining used for a raid configured btrfs that is the
root filesystem.

The root of the ceph is on the root filesystem, with the four (actually
only three in use at the moment) osd partitions mounted within this
(/ceph/osd.0 etc). So the journal is on the root filesystem, which is
btrfs mirrored and striped over four drives.

Linux is 3.6.0, ceph is 0.52.

I mount the ceph filesystem on a second machine and start rsync to copy
a lot of data (maybe 1 Tb) to ceph over a 1Gb/s network.

The mds, mon, and osds are all running on the one (first) machine.

I have had problems in which the disk activity is 'bursty' with the
machine hanging whilst bursts of activity are underway, so I have set
'dirty_background_ ratio' to 1 and 'dirty_ratio' to 50.

I think that this may be improving things a bit.

Everything starts off swimmingly, with data flowing well to the ceph
machine. Over time, the ceph machine slows down, and the osds start to
complain about 'slow response'. The response of the machine to any user
interaction is very slow, and there is much evidence of processes in the
'disk sleep' state, and staying that way for fairly extended times -
occasionally at these times there isn't a lot of disk light activity.

Dmesg shows that a couple of times there have been crashes of
'btrfs_cleaner' kernel thread. Also several crashes of the osd's (init
respawns them when they go down).

Eventually it is evident that things seem more than just slow; more like
jammed up and broken.  I am not getting the 'bug #2563' corruption now,
without the compression.

It seems to me that ceph stresses linux-btrfs more than anything else
does (I have no problems apart from the ceph experiments); and the
result is a steadily worsening log-jam that eventually causes crashing
of both kernel processes and osd's. I suspect that the 'bug #2563' issue
is a symptom of this that causes the compression mechanism to produce
corruption. Without compression, I don't get that particular fault, but
things still do not work well.

My next experiment is to start again, but with the osds using xfs, not
btrfs. My understanding is that ceph is designed to work best with
btrfs, so I don't want to go this way long term, but if everything works
significantly better, it would localise the issue to btrfs.

(By the way, the root filesystem is still compressed btrfs - I wonder
whether that is a problem; with the journal i/o going this way...)

David