Re: [GIT PULL v5] java: add libcephfs Java bindings

On 03/10/12 20:39, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2012, Noah Watkins wrote:
>>> Hi Sage,
>>>
>>> I wanted to touch base on this Java bindings patch series to
>>> make sure this can become a solid foundation for the Hadoop
>>> shim clean-up. Were there any specific issues with this, other
>>> than not yet having a major consumer?
> From my perspective it's ready.  I was hoping that Laszlo could
> look at the packaging bits before I merged, but then I lost track
> of it.
>
> Laszlo, do you have a minute to take a look?

Laszlo - hope you don't mind me jumping in but Java packaging is
something I have quite a bit of experience with.

A few bits of feedback:

1) Split of Java bytecode and native JNI code

Inline with
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/x104.html, the
native JNI code should be in a separate, arch-specific, package to the
Java bytecode (which ideally should be arch: all).

  libceph-java Depends -> libceph-jni

The only reason I could think of to not do this would be to exclude
architectures in Debian for which ceph does not build from having a
Java arch: all package which is un-installable.

2) libceph1-java naming

As ceph is the only source package likely to produce this code the
version is really not required as this is simply to prevent conflicts
when multiple versions of a Java library are required - libceph-java
is just fine.

3) jar files in /usr/share/java

Java policy dictates a versioned and unversioned jar in /usr/share/java:

/usr/share/java/ceph-0.48.2.jar
/usr/share/java/ceph.jar -> ceph-0.48.2.jar

Tools such as javahelper can do this for you - which I see on the BD's.

Use debian/libceph-java.jlibs + plumb jh_installlibs into debian/rules
and javahelper will do this for you.

4) src/java/build.xml

Please set the source/target version of Java to something sensible
during the build process - ideally 1.5 (as 1.6 introduced no new
language features).  Ubuntu quantal's default-jdk is OpenJDK7 -
without this it will build code which is not backwards compatible.

And openjdk-6/oracle java 6 is still available...

HTH

Cheers

James

- --