Re: Quick CentOS/RHEL question ...

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012, Jimmy Tang wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 06:09:59PM -0700, Yehuda Sadeh wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Joe Landman
> > <landman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hi folks
> > >
> > >   I was struggling and failing to get Ceph properly built/installed for
> > > CentOS 6 (and 5) last week.  Is this simply not a recommended platform?
> > > Please advise.  Thanks!
> >
> > As mentioned by the other responses, it is possible to get Ceph built
> > for RHEL/CentOS even though it's probably not trivial. Getting proper
> > packaging for these distributions is pretty high on our list. We'd
> > love to hear about specific the issues that you have had.
> >

> Will there also be backports of the kernel modules for cephfs and rbd?
> That's probably a make or break feature for anyone using RHEL based
> distros as they are not likely to want to upgrade their kernels
> manually and maintain them for security fixes. I guess if there are no
> kernel modules for cephfs and rbd RHEL could still be used as a osd,
> mon or mds.

We do not have any kernel backports planned at this point.  The RHEL
kernels also tend to be pretty old, so it's likely a fair bit of work.

That said, the server stuff should all run fine on RHEL/CentOS.  We are
now doing builds on centos 6 as part of our continuous builds
(ceph.com/gitbuilders.cgi), and the next release will include centos rpms
(and hopefully Fedora).  Looking forward, we'll be adding opensuse and
sles rpms as well.

sage