Re: rbd 0.48 storage support for kvm proxmox distribution available

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 14:35:16 +0200, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>> Yes, we don't use libvirt.

>> It's already implemented (cache=writeback), patched qemu-kvm 1.1. (and qemu-kvm 1.2 is coming in the next days)
>>
>> Tunning of cache size can be done with a /etc/ceph.conf file
>>

> That is kind of dangerous imho and for a couple of reasons.
>
> For configuring the storage you have /etc/pve/storage.cfg where you
> can add the RBD pool, configure the monitors and cephx, but for
> caching you rely in librbd reading ceph.conf?
>
> That is hidden from the user, reading /etc/ceph/ceph.conf will go
> without your knowledge. I'd opt for passing down all the options to
> Qemu and being able to run without a ceph.conf
>
> I've ran into the same problems with libvirt and CloudStack. I
> couldn't figure out why libvirt was still able to connect to a
> specific cluster until I found out my ceph.conf was still in place.
>
> I also thought it is on the roadmap to not read /etc/ceph/ceph.conf
> by default with librbd/librados to take away these kind of issues.

I don't think we'll want to change the default behavior (qemu reading
/etc/ceph/ceph.conf) for backwards compatibility, but I agree that we
should avoid relying on it in the future.

Josh