Re: rbd 0.48 storage support for kvm proxmox distribution available

On 09/05/2012 11:30 AM, Alexandre DERUMIER wrote:
Proxmox doesn't use libvirt, does it?
Yes, we don't use libvirt.

Any plans to implement the RBD caching?

It's already implemented (cache=writeback), patched qemu-kvm 1.1. (and qemu-kvm 1.2 is coming in the next days)

Tunning of cache size can be done with a /etc/ceph.conf file

That is kind of dangerous imho and for a couple of reasons.

For configuring the storage you have /etc/pve/storage.cfg where you can add the RBD pool, configure the monitors and cephx, but for caching you rely in librbd reading ceph.conf?

That is hidden from the user, reading /etc/ceph/ceph.conf will go without your knowledge. I'd opt for passing down all the options to Qemu and being able to run without a ceph.conf

I've ran into the same problems with libvirt and CloudStack. I couldn't figure out why libvirt was still able to connect to a specific cluster until I found out my ceph.conf was still in place.

I also thought it is on the roadmap to not read /etc/ceph/ceph.conf by default with librbd/librados to take away these kind of issues.

And you would also have this weird situation where the ceph.conf could have a couple of monitor entries and your "storage.cfg", how will that work out?

I would try not to rely on the ceph.conf at all and have Proxmox pass all the configuration options down to Qemu.

Wido