Re: ceph init script does not start

On 07/16/2012 07:06 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, Sz?kelyi Szabolcs wrote:
On 2012. July 14. 07:42:34 Sage Weil wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jul 2012, Xiaopong Tran wrote:
I'm getting this funny issue. I had setup two test clusters, and
mkcephfs and the ceph start up script worked just fine. We are
now ready to go production, we have 6 nodes, with 10 disks
each, and one osd per disk, with 3 mds and 3 mons.

The script mkcephfs ran without problem, everything was created
properly. See attached log file. However, when I run

/etc/init.d/ceph start

nothing happens, not even a line of message, not on concole,
neither in system log.

But can I manually start up each individual osd, mds, and mon.

This is usually related to the 'host = ...' lines in ceph.conf.  They need
to match the output of the `hostname` command in order for that daemon to
be automatically started or stopped.

Just a humble remark here: actually the host= setting has to match the
hostname *until the first dot*. If your hostname contains a dot, this will not
work. This can be useful in a number of cases, like setting the hostname to
indicate the group of a hierarchy level in the name so that the administrator
can extactly know what he's working on after logging in (I mean hostnames like
node<X>.rack<Y>  in a datacenter or node<X>.<site>  when running a
geographically distributed cluster).

 From this comes my request: do you think it's possible to change (I mean, in
the repository) ceph_common.sh not to cut the output of `hostname` at the first
dot? I'm running a cluster with hostnames like that, and now I have to edit
that file after each upgrade.

I think the trick here is keeping things compatible with both methods.
Maybe it should match any prefix of the host fqdn?  e.g., for a host
a.b.c.d, any of host = a, host = a.b, host = a.b.c, or host = a.b.c.d will
match, but host = x.a will not.

It would be great if it can handle fqdn. I tried to use fqdn, along
with an internal DNS, and the /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts file set,
and it still does not start.

host = a.b.c

does not do, so far, only

host = a