Re: ceph init script does not start

On 2012. July 14. 07:42:34 Sage Weil wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2012, Xiaopong Tran wrote:
> > I'm getting this funny issue. I had setup two test clusters, and
> > mkcephfs and the ceph start up script worked just fine. We are
> > now ready to go production, we have 6 nodes, with 10 disks
> > each, and one osd per disk, with 3 mds and 3 mons.
> >
> > The script mkcephfs ran without problem, everything was created
> > properly. See attached log file. However, when I run
> >
> > /etc/init.d/ceph start
> >
> > nothing happens, not even a line of message, not on concole,
> > neither in system log.
> >
> > But can I manually start up each individual osd, mds, and mon.
>
> This is usually related to the 'host = ...' lines in ceph.conf.  They need
> to match the output of the `hostname` command in order for that daemon to
> be automatically started or stopped.

Just a humble remark here: actually the host= setting has to match the
hostname *until the first dot*. If your hostname contains a dot, this will not
work. This can be useful in a number of cases, like setting the hostname to
indicate the group of a hierarchy level in the name so that the administrator
can extactly know what he's working on after logging in (I mean hostnames like
node<X>.rack<Y> in a datacenter or node<X>.<site> when running a
geographically distributed cluster).

>From this comes my request: do you think it's possible to change (I mean, in
the repository) ceph_common.sh not to cut the output of `hostname` at the first
dot? I'm running a cluster with hostnames like that, and now I have to edit
that file after each upgrade.

--
cc