Re: Designing a cluster guide

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Brian Edmonds <mornir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Gregory Farnum <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If you lose a journal, you lose the OSD.
>
> Really?  Everything?  Not just recent commits?  I would have hoped it
> would just come back up in an old state.  Replication should have
> already been taking care of regaining redundancy for the stuff that
> was on it, particularly the newest stuff that wouldn't return with it
> and say "Hi, I'm back."
>
> I suppose it makes the design easier though. =)

Well, actually this depends on the filesystem you're using. With
btrfs, the OSD will roll back to a consistent state, but you don't
know how out-of-date that state is. (Practically speaking, it's pretty
new, but if you were doing any writes it is going to be data loss.)
With xfs/ext4/other, the OSD can't create consistency points the same
way it can with btrfs, and so the loss of a journal means that it
can't repair itself.

Sorry for not mentioning the distinction earlier; I didn't think we'd
implemented the rollback on btrfs. :)
-Greg