Re: Designing a cluster guide

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Gregory Farnum <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry this got left for so long...
>
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 6:23 AM, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG
> <s.priebe@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the "Designing a cluster guide"
>> http://wiki.ceph.com/wiki/Designing_a_cluster is pretty good but it
>> still leaves some questions unanswered.
>>
>> It mentions for example "Fast CPU" for the mds system. What does fast
>> mean? Just the speed of one core? Or is ceph designed to use multi core?
>> Is multi core or more speed important?
> Right now, it's primarily the speed of a single core. The MDS is
> highly threaded but doing most things requires grabbing a big lock.
> How fast is a qualitative rather than quantitative assessment at this
> point, though.
>
>> The Cluster Design Recommendations mentions to seperate all Daemons on
>> dedicated machines. Is this also for the MON useful? As they're so
>> leightweight why not running them on the OSDs?
> It depends on what your nodes look like, and what sort of cluster
> you're running. The monitors are pretty lightweight, but they will add
> *some* load. More important is their disk access patterns — they have
> to do a lot of syncs. So if they're sharing a machine with some other
> daemon you want them to have an independent disk and to be running a
> new kernel&glibc so that they can use syncfs rather than sync. (The
> only distribution I know for sure does this is Ubuntu 12.04.)

I just had it pointed out to me that I rather overstated the
importance of syncfs if you were going to do this. The monitor mostly
does fsync, not sync/syncfs(), so that's not so important. What is
important is that it has highly seeky disk behavior, so you don't want
a ceph-osd and ceph-mon daemon to be sharing a disk. :)
-Greg