Re: filestore flusher = false , correct my problem of constant write (need info on this parameter)

Hi Alexandre,

[Sorry I didn't follow up earlier; I didn't understand your question.]

If you turn off the journal compeletely, you will see bursty write commits
from the perspective of the client, because the OSD is periodically doing
a sync or snapshot and only acking the writes then.

If you enable the journal, the OSD will reply with a commit as soon as the
write is stable in the journal.  That's one reason why it is there--file
system commits of heavyweight and slow.

If we left the file system to its own devices and did a sync every 10
seconds, the disk would sit idle while a bunch of dirty data accumulated
in cache, and then the sync/snapshot would take a really long time.  This
is horribly inefficient (the disk is idle half the time), and useless (the
delayed write behavior makes sense for local workloads, but not servers
where there is a client on the other end batching its writes).  To prevent
this, 'filestore flusher' will prod the kernel to flush out any written
data to the disk quickly.  Then, when we get around to doing the
sync/snapshot it is pretty quick, because only fs metadata and
just-written data needs to be flushed.

So: the behavior you're seeing is normal, and good.

Did I understand your confusion correctly?

Thanks!
sage