Re: RBD layering design draft

On 06/18/2012 11:01 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Josh Durgin wrote:
     $ rbd copyup pool2/child1

Does "copyup" make sense to everyone? Every time you say it, my brain
needs to flip the image inside the other way around -- I naturally
imagine a tree with the parent at the top, and children and
grandchildren down from it, but then I can't call that operation
"copyup" without wrecking my mental image.

I also can't seem to google good evidence that the term would be in
widespread use in the enterprisey block storage world, outside of the
unionfs world.. What do people call the un-dedupping, un-thinning of
copy-on-write thin provisioning?

"unshare"?

I'm not sure what best term is, but there's probably something better than
copyup.

"flatten"?  My mental model is stuck on the "layering" analogy, where the
child is a copy-on-write layer on top of a read-only parent.

Someday we may want to support the ability to add a parent to an existing
image and do a sort of "dedup", so having an opposite for whatever term we
pick would be a bonus.

"disown" and "adopt"? :) (actually I started as a joke, but really I kinda like that; fits with the parent-child name)