Re: poor OSD performance using kernel 3.4

On 05/24/2012 02:05 PM, Stefan Priebe wrote:
Am 24.05.2012 20:53, schrieb Mark Nelson:
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the info! I've been testing on 3.4 for the last couple of
days but haven't run into that problem here. It looks like your journal
has writes going to it quickly and then things stall as it tries to
write out to your data disk.
That's a good point. Right now while testing i'm using a tmpfs ramdisk for the journal and have set journal dio = false in ceph.conf? Might this be the difference / problem?

3.2.18 works fine too.

Honestly I don't know if tmpfs journal with dio = false would lead to that kind of behavior. Anything interesting in the logs if you turn debugging up?

> I wonder if any of the data actually makes
it to the disk... Can you run iostat or collectl or something and see
what kind of write throughput you get to the OSD data disks?
none... so it seems get's never transferred from journal to disk.

This might be a stupid question, but writes to those partitions work outside of Ceph with the new kernel right?

Stefan

Thanks,
Mark