Re: RGW, future directions

2012/5/24 Yehuda Sadeh <yehuda@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Henry C Chang <henry.cy.chang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 2012/5/23 Yehuda Sadeh <yehuda@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> RGW is maturing. Beside looking at performance, which highly ties into
>>> RADOS performance, we'd like to hear whether there are certain pain
>>> points or future directions that you (you as in the ceph community)
>>> would like to see us taking.
>>>
>>> There are a few directions that we were thinking about:
>>>
>>> 1. Extend Object Storage API
>>>
>>> Swift and S3 has some features that we don't currently support. We can
>>> certainly extend our functionality, however, is there any demand for
>>> more features? E.g., self destructing objects, web site, user logs,
>>> etc.
>>>

>> I would like to see radosgw supporting:
>> - Object versioning
>
> Yeah, we had that in mind for while now. Ceph issue #418. We have made
> some progress towards that, but we're not there yet.
>
>> - Bucket policy
>
> Anything specific that you'd like to see there? Bucket policy is very
> tied into amazon aws, and I don't think we should clone that. We can,
> however, look at what additional useful functionality we can have.

To me, one of the most powerful thing of bucket policy is: it allows
you to set permissions for a large number of objects with one
statement. Below is a simple example. You can specify the "Resource"
with a wildcard (or even <bucket>/<obj_prefix>*).

{
  "Version":"2008-10-17",
  "Statement":[{
	"Sid":"AddPerm",
        "Effect":"Allow",
	  "Principal": {
         },
      "Action":["s3:GetObject"],
      "Resource":["arn:aws:s3:::bucket/*"
      ]
    }
  ]
}

I agree, we don't have to clone that. Similar functionality would be great!!