Re: RGW, future directions

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Henry C Chang <henry.cy.chang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2012/5/23 Yehuda Sadeh <yehuda@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> RGW is maturing. Beside looking at performance, which highly ties into
>> RADOS performance, we'd like to hear whether there are certain pain
>> points or future directions that you (you as in the ceph community)
>> would like to see us taking.
>>
>> There are a few directions that we were thinking about:
>>
>> 1. Extend Object Storage API
>>
>> Swift and S3 has some features that we don't currently support. We can
>> certainly extend our functionality, however, is there any demand for
>> more features? E.g., self destructing objects, web site, user logs,
>> etc.
>>

> I would like to see radosgw supporting:
> - Object versioning

Yeah, we had that in mind for while now. Ceph issue #418. We have made
some progress towards that, but we're not there yet.

> - Bucket policy

Anything specific that you'd like to see there? Bucket policy is very
tied into amazon aws, and I don't think we should clone that. We can,
however, look at what additional useful functionality we can have.

>> 7. libradosgw
>>
>> We have had this in mind for some time now. Creating a programming api
>> for rgw, not too different from librados and librbd. It'll hopefully
>> make code much cleaner. It will allow users to write different front
>> ends for the rgw backend, and it will make it easier for users to
>> write applications that interact with the backend, e.g., do processing
>> on objects that users uploaded, FUSE for rgw without S3 as an
>> intermediate, etc.
>>

> I am also interested in libradosgw. With it, we can support other
> protocols easily. (e.g., webdav)

Thanks,
Yehuda