Question about IoCtx::aio_exec semantics

I've had a lot of success using rados_exec(), but I need to graduate the implementation to use IoCtx::aio_exec for increased concurrency. I'm a little confused about how aio_exec should be used:

Here is aio_exec:

   int aio_exec(const std::string& oid, AioCompletion *c, const char *cls, const char *method, bufferlist& inbl, bufferlist *outbl);

I'd like to have many outstanding competitions, one for each call of aio_exec. Once @c has completed, I'd like to have access to the @outbl bufferlist. So, is the intended use here to allocate an empty bufferlist for each submitted completion?

In rgw/rgw_rados.cc a use is:

  AioCompletion *c = librados::Rados::aio_create_completion(NULL, NULL, NULL);
  r = io_ctx.aio_exec(oid, c, "rgw", "dir_suggest_changes", in, NULL);
  c->release();

To clarify, are the semantics here that an asynchronous aio_exec is made without checking for completion or return values.

Thanks,
Noah--