Re: ceph 0.44+ and leveldb

On Fri, 2012-04-06 at 09:49 -0700, Sage Weil wrote:
> The problem here is that libleveldb-dev is only packaged for wheezy and
> precise, and we'd like to build packages for squeeze and oneiric, and
> make the build experience easy for non-debian/ubuntu users.  (I didn't
> check whether it was in rpm-based distros.)

It's not in Fedora (and probably not in RHEL/CentOS/ScientificLinux,
etc).  However, Fedora's policy is that bundled libraries aren't
allowed, so we (as in Fedora) really should be packaging leveldb
separately ourselves.

> I think the ideal situation would be for the debs to build against the
> debian package, and allow others an easy way to get the correct source
> (by bundling it in the ceph source tarball, or via a simple build script
> that does the equivalent of git submodule update --init).
>
> Do you have a clear picture of how that would work?

One common way would be to have a flag for ./configure, something like
--use-system-leveldb, that would disable building the bundled leveldb.

I'm afraid I know next to nothing about autotools, so I'm not sure how
exactly it's done, but I don't think it's particularly complex for
someone who does know how to use autotools.

Jonathan