Mysteriously poor write performance

Hi,

I`ve did some performance tests at the following configuration:

mon0, osd0 and mon1, osd1 - two twelve-core r410 with 32G ram, mon2 -
dom0 with three dedicated cores and 1.5G, mostly idle. First three
disks on each r410 arranged into raid0 and holds osd data when fourth
holds os and osd` journal partition, all ceph-related stuff mounted on
the ext4 without barriers.

Firstly, I`ve noticed about a difference of benchmark performance and
write speed through rbd from small kvm instance running on one of
first two machines - when bench gave me about 110Mb/s, writing zeros
to raw block device inside vm with dd was at top speed about 45 mb/s,
for vm`fs (ext4 with default options) performance drops to ~23Mb/s.
Things get worse, when I`ve started second vm at second host and tried
to continue same dd tests simultaneously - performance fairly divided
by half for each instance :). Enabling jumbo frames, playing with cpu
affinity for ceph and vm instances and trying different TCP congestion
protocols gave no effect at all - with DCTCP I have slightly smoother
network load graph and that`s all.

Can ml please suggest anything to try to improve performance?

ceph-0.43, libvirt-0.9.8, qemu-1.0.0, kernel 3.2