Re: General question about a testbed

Hi,

On 03/08/2012 09:37 AM, Sven Sternberger wrote:
Hello!

I want to set up a testbed for evaluating
ceph. At this point we want to look at the performance
and the administration of a small cluster (4 machines,
60TB)

So neither ceph nor btrfs are good supported by
ScientificLinux which we use.

Instead of btrfs you could also use ext4 (with user_xattr!).

It would be helpful if you could point out which
linux distributions gives an easy starting point.
Should we use an recent kernel, or go with the distribution
default.

I'm running my cluster(s) on Ubuntu 11.10. For the OSD's you don't have to run the latest kernel, but if you decide to use btrfs it could be a good idea to use a new kernel. btrfs is still under development, it get's better with every kernel.

I think the main test systems of the dev's are running Debian, so that might be a good choice. Debian packages are available on the Ceph website or can easily be build from source.

When you want to use the kernel client (CephFS / POSIX filesystem) I recommend using a recent kernel on the client, same story was with btrfs.

Wido

best regards!

Sven