Re: pg time stamps

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> wip-osd-pg-stats adds a time stamp and epoch number to the pg_stat_t
> struct.  The epoch is updated when the mapping changes, and the time stamp
> is updated when the pg state changes.
>
> The state timestamp is the interesting one, since it'll make it easier to
> identify PGs that are stuck in, say, down or peering states for long
> periods of time.
Thumbs up!

> What it doesn't help with is when the pg state is toggling between two
> undesireable states (the stamp will still get updated).  In practice, what
> we probably care about is active vs not active, and degraded vs not
> degraded.  We could add additional time stamps for those, but that may be
> overkill.
I think we'll want these; or at least more than we've got right now.
I'm not sure what a good way to track "stuck" PGs from an external
tool would be without building a lot of smarts into it (tracking the
states a PG can take), while it would be easy to serve them by adding
an inactive_stamp and a degraded_stamp.